Everyone comes across one of these at some point in their work experience. And that would be, a difficult co-worker. There are just some people that come into our life that we just don’t gel with. Today I am sharing with your some tips on how to deal with them.
Keep It Professional
- Focus on self control. Everyone has their own attitude actions. All you can control is how you handle your actions and emotions.
- Keep your cool. When you are in an uncomfortable situation, don’t let your temper get the best of you. Take a deep breath, remove yourself from the situation, and de-stress.
- Avoid gossip. As much as you want to, don’t use your other co-workers as a way to vent your feels about another co-worker. Some might look at you in a negative way. Keep your problems between you and the person you are having issues with.
Evaluate The Situation
- Before you get someone from management (human resources, supervisor, boss etc) involved, see if there is something you can do to correct the situation.
- Is there a way you can modify your daily tasks to avoid your co-worker?
- Can you have a frank conversation to correct the problem?
- Was there a misunderstanding that is causing the problem?
Stick To The Basics
- If a conversation is needed, limit your conversation to the current complaint. Avoid words like “always” and “never”.
- Use “I” versus “you” statements. Avoid putting your co-worker on the defensive.
- Acknowledge that you might be part of the problem. There might be a possibility that you interpreted the situation incorrectly.
- If you are facing an issue with a co-worker, save emails where the situation can be proved.
Know When You Need Help
- Going to management should always be a last resort, but sometimes it is needed. Before going to someone, make sure you have gone to the difficult co-worker and made an attempt to avoid the situation. Check your emotions at the door before you speak with someone, collect your evidence, keep the topic to the point at hand, and be prepared to to hear criticism about you.
The office can be a great way to make friends in the “real world”, it can also open the door to confrontation and difficult people. It’s super easy to deal with positives, but the negatives can be a challenge. For all of you that are new in the workplace, difficult situations are going to arise, learn from them. Each opportunity is a learning opportunity. If you are in a difficult situation, remember, it will get better. Keep your head up and focus on correcting the situation. No one should dread going into work.
I hope these tips help you for current or future situations. Hopefully, none of you have to deal with a difficult co-worker, they aren’t fun!
Have you ever dealt with a difficult co-worker? What did you do to resolve the situation? Do you have any advice for girls who are just starting the work industry?